Difference between Task and Story

Hello o/

I’ll start a new project and Leantime will be the project management tool. I was adding tasks to the backlog and the task type kept me thinking because of story. In what cases makes sense to create the task as a story? How do you use it?

In another project I’ve already created tasks without stories and maintained the backlog just fine. I’m really thinking if i could improve using this feature.

Thank you!

Everything depends in your scope and the way you handle your project.

There is not just one path where you can go and both are totally great and valid.

As per my own experience, user story helps you estimate your project, for example, you can have a “crud” as a “user story”:

User Story: “As an admin, I would like to create new users and edit their information and control their access”
Tasks: “Cread, Read, Update, Delete, users”

So it´s a differente way to see things, you can gather client requirements with user stories and then estimate your project.

If you want an example of user stories in leantime, I´ll try to do one

User Story:
“As an admin, I would like to create new users and edit their information and control their access”
Then:
Subtasks:
“Create user”
“Read user”
“Update user”
“Delete user”

You can give estimated time to each subtask, and user stories help stakeholders to understand what are we building, since it´s a more “normal way to say things”.

Hope this helps.

It helps, @ingsams, thank you!

This way wouldn’t make the time tracking more difficult? As we can’t assign a timesheet to a subtask, only to a task.

I see we could have stories and when the subtasks are too big we break them into properly tasks.